There’s a mentor in my life who I have trusted within the past two years of our friendship. I’m going to share with you a few thing that I’ve learned during a recent discussion.
- “I will not betray you.”
- When it comes to relationships, I have a difficult time trusting people. A difficult time believing that a person genuinely cares about me. Especially men. Even men who are friends and only friends. In my experience with men, many of them try their best to go as far as they can with me. There has been an exception to this a few occasions. However, when it comes to going on a date, often times, I don’t understand why majority of men choose to test the waters with how far they can go with a female. This disgusts me and really has broken my heart from time to time.
- With females, I’ve been changing a lot the last few years. Some of the friends who I thought I was really close with, didn’t seem to enjoy “the new me” and have chosen not to continue communicating with me. This has been tough, but I have to stay true to who I am and what I believe is the right thing for me to do.
- You are a diamond
- Unfortunately, given they way I’ve been treated in the past, I’ve assumed that people think negatively of me.
- My mentor always says to me, “Don’t you realize how others view you? You are your own worst critic! You are a diamond! And you deserve to be treated like one.”
3. It is up to you to believe
- He can tell me these things all he wants and continue to coach me, BUT if I’m not going to change the way that I think, then it won’t matter. Although I have been through difficult things before, it’s in the past and I am not a victim. I am a diamond.
I hope to take what I’ve learned and really apply it to my life.